Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Spring 2013 Bloggers Quilt Festival

Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com


It's that time again!  I love Blogger's Quilt Festival - the genius idea of Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side    
where bloggers around the globe can enter quilts into an online show.  It has been so neat to watch this event develop over the years, and I have enjoyed being both a spectator and a participant.  Loads of inspiration here folks, so be sure to click over and check out all the different categories!  

My entry this year will be in the Mini category:
Quilt Name:  City Color
Size:  18" x 23"
Designed, Pieced and Quilted by Valerie Luberecki (me!)

I made this quilt as part of the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild's City Challenge.  We were given three of the prints in the piece and challenged to create something reflecting city life.  Being from Chicago, I knew I wanted to do a skyline.  


My favorite part is this background fabric - VeloCity by Jessica Hogarth for P & B Textiles.  I wish I had bought yards and yards of it!  I think it gives a nice depth of texture and makes the pieced buildings stand out.  I originally was going to use a solid for the background, but I'm so glad I went for this bolder look.
For the binding, I used a black and white print called Nellie's Garden by Nancy Mahoney.  I love the gravelly texture it adds - great for the urban look I was going for.  The backing is a Washi orange print by Rashida Coleman Hale.


I meant to give this away, really, I did!  But I fell in love with it, and now it hangs over my sewing machine and adds a nice pop of color to my day.  City Color was also featured in the Pink Chalk Fabrics newsletter earlier this year, which was such a treat for me.  I

Thanks for stopping by - I've enjoyed sharing this little quilt with you!  I'm so grateful to be a part of this community that creates - I'm inspired by all of you!  I'm off to enjoy some more of the Blogger's Quilt Festival - join me??

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh Val I love this. You have such an eye for design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! i love this mini quilt!! and i think i'll enter one of mine as well! thanks Val for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The background is perfect, Valerie. It does work beautifully with the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Great challenge idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of fabrics! And I definitely miss the Chicago skyline in the relatively "flat" DC area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one, Valerie! I know, sometimes I can't give up one of my projects either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved this one since you first showed it :-) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this - really creative, and different to the other mini quilts I have viewed so far :-)

    ReplyDelete